Thursday, July 16, 2009

Re-set!

Re-setting the system by way of rest is needed now and again when I'm training my system "hard" over a period of high volume weeks.  I was at the completion of a big training block when I felt the intense urge to completely rest and take a break from all obligations: work, training and socializing....sorta of like a mini-vacation/spa at home.  This has turned out to be remarkably rewarding in that I am finally able to enjoy my rest, relax and "just be" for once.  This to me is a sign that I'm learning to truly listen to God and what my body is telling me, and have peace in that.  Just as I find true peace and fulfillment is pursuing my God given purpose as an athlete, whether it be in the completion of a great workout, race or training block, I am now beginning to find peace in needed rest.  The fantastic thing about this is that I know by resting now I will rock later.  I'm actually enjoying my rest, amazing!  My new motto, rest today, rock tomorrow!  Meaning rest and rejuvenate so that you can truly absorb the training effect, grow stronger and ultimately become fitter.  

Not only that but I'm starting to feel mentally more rejuvenated and have discovered some interesting things in regard to listening to my body closely, the first already mentioned and the second in regard to nutrition.  I have been really paying close attention to what my body has been calling for, and have discovered that at all times I "crave" healthy foods, but the macro nutrient profile changes upon training and resting periods.  For example, during high volume blocks my body calls for protein, produce, fruits and veggies and a little carbohydrate from non-gluten grains.  During this resting period I am finding that my body is not calling for any animal protein but instead a teensy bit more complex carbohydrates (from non-gluten grains, fruits, veg) , Raw foods, fruits, nuts and of course, as usual, LOTS or VEGGIES!  Interesting how if we truly listen to the signals God has implemented in our bodies we will live optimally according the phase and season that our lives our in!  God is amazing!

Lesson learnt:  Listen to you body, rest when you truly need it.... so that you can rock on and get fitter!!  Rest today, rock tomorrow!

Flourish

No comments:

Post a Comment